Judith and Ruben's Story

It was just another ordinary day when we lost Ruben…

Ruben and his dad went to the cinema. Ruben had an allergy to cow’s milk, so he was really careful. He wanted popcorn and told the staff about his allergies to make sure it was okay for him to eat. He was told it was safe.

But it wasn’t. It wasn’t safe. Ruben ate the popcorn and within 15 minutes he had a reaction. Ruben went into anaphylactic shock. And in just 30 minutes he was gone. We lost him. We lost our precious, much-loved Ruben that day. He was just 14 years old.

I can’t put into words how that felt. How it still feels. To be told that they don’t know how this happened. That still, no one can give me an answer, when Ruben did everything he was supposed to do. We live with the loss of Ruben every day, and we don’t want another family to experience the pain of losing a child who has allergies.

We need to stop this from happening. We need to make sure another family doesn’t have to go through this. Please support Allergy UK through this campaign, my campaign, so that we can stop this from ever happening again…

My wish is for better labelling of food and drinks. I also want to raise awareness about living with allergic disease and to fundraise for Allergy UK. This is why this campaign is important. Why your help is so crucial.

Click here to find out more and donate