Allergy UK also has information on other allergies such as:
Latex allergy in its most common form often creates irritant contact dermatitis. This is often seen in association with wearing rubber gloves, and can create eczema symptoms; itching, redness and scaling.
Latex allergy can cause symptoms from both contact, and inhalation of the rubber powder that can be present on latex products. Symptoms include:
- Severe itching, urticarial and nettle rash
- Dizziness/light headedness
- Respiratory problems if inhaled
Some more serious symptoms may also develop, and although incredibly rare, some deaths have been recorded from latex allergy.
For more information on diagnosis and management of latex allergy please see our Factsheet.
Anyone can become allergic to bee stings, wasp stings, or other insect bites but those most likely to become bee allergic are bee keepers. Those who work in gardens are also more susceptible to having a reaction to insect bites. However, it is unusual to be allergic to both wasps and bees.
Swelling at the site of the insect bite, which can be more than 10 cm in diameter and last for more than 24 hours. The rest of the limb may be involved but no generalised symptoms are present. These reactions are more common in children than in adults.
Mild systemic reactions
These reactions are characterised by skin swelling and hives in an area of skin remote from the insect bite. Children experiencing these reactions are not thought to be significantly at risk of future life-threatening reactions compared to others. However, in older children and adults, such reactions are considered to be a risk factor for a future severe reaction.
Moderate / severe systemic reactions (Anaphylaxis)
Any or all of the following symptoms may be present:
- Swelling of throat and mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing or speaking
- Difficulty in breathing - due to severe asthma or throat swelling
- Hives anywhere on the body, especially large hives
- Generalised flushing of the skin
- Abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting
- Sudden feeling of weakness (drop in blood pressure)
- Collapse and unconsciousness
For more information on diagnosis and wasp sting treatment please see our Factsheet.
Allergic Eye Disease
Allergic conjunctivitis can be seasonal or all year round (perennial). For most of those affected seasonally the symptoms are part of their hay fever and the cause is the same - grass, tree, and weed or shrub pollen.
- Itching eyes
- Burning, watering and redness of the eyes
- Puffiness of the eyelids
Perennial allergic conjunctivitis is usually a reaction to house dust mite or pets in the indoor environment.
For more information on diagnosis and management of allergic eye disease please see our Factsheet.
Reactions to Alcohol
It is not unusual to experience allergy-like symptoms following ingestion of alcohol. The reaction can be very specific, for example to a certain type of wine, or can be caused by different types of alcohol.
More commonly, symptoms of alcohol allergy are caused by an intolerance to alcohol, to the food on which the drink is based (e.g. grapes for wine, grains for whisky etc.), or to another substance in the drink.
Some of the main culprits are listed below
This is present in many alcoholic drinks, particularly red wines, and can cause headache, flushing, nasal symptoms, gut symptoms or asthma. Some people are particularly intolerant of histamine because of a deficiency in the breakdown and elimination of histamine from the body.
Yeasts are a possible cause of a true allergic reaction to alcoholic drinks. However, studies show that there are only low levels of yeast allergens present in alcoholic drinks.
For more information on diagnosis and management of an allergy to alcohol please see our Factsheet below.
Nickel allergy (a type of metal allergy) commonly develops following ear piercing and the use of metal jewellery.
Nickel allergy is more common in people with hand dermatitis although the reason for this is not always clear.
European Union legislation currently limits the amount
of nickel released from metals in prolonged contact with the skin and it is hoped that nickel allergy may become less common in the future.
For more information please see our nickel allergy Factsheet.