Change to the instructions for use of Epipen® and Epipen® Junior
Information sourced from Epipen® website (6th Dec 2017)
Mylan UK has recently received approval for a change to the instructions for use of EpiPen® and EpiPen® Junior. There is no change to the device or the drug (adrenaline); the change is in the instructions for use as outlined below:
• Reduced holding time from 10 to 3 seconds.
• Removal of the massage step after administration.
• The changes are aimed to simplify the process and improve compliance.
• It is important to remember, the effectiveness of the EpiPen® and EpiPen® Junior will not be impacted regardless of whether it is held for 3 or 10 seconds.
• We expect EpiPen® and EpiPen® Junior with the new instructions to enter pharmacies in the UK from November 2017 onwards, and these will gradually replace the 10 second labelled pen. As we go through the transition period, there will still be some EpiPen® and EpiPen® Junior with the 10 second label
available in the UK.
• If you have an EpiPen® with the 10 second label, you don't need to get it replaced. EpiPen®'s only need to be replaced when they have been used or when they are about to expire.
• All EpiPen®'s should be used following these new instructions. The pen should be held for 3 seconds and there is no need to massage. If a patient forgets, and holds the EpiPen® for 10 seconds and/or massages the site, it won't affect the way the EpiPen® works.