How a School Allergy Action Group (SAAG) can help your school
A SAAG can enable everyone who may have experience of, or be affected by, allergies to share knowledge, information and experience, with a view to generating a policy and action plan that will ensure the safety of everyone in school.
A SAAG comprises representatives of the key stakeholders in school who have an interest in ensuring the safety of pupils with allergenic responses and the managing of their medication so that they can engage fully in daily school activities.
For best practice SAAG should comprise of the following:
- Senior Management Team
- School Nurse
- Class/subject Teachers eg PSHE, PE, Food technology
- Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator/ Pastoral Care
- Catering manager/school cook
- Pupils with AND pupils without an allergy
- Parents of pupils with AND without allergy
- Administrator/school secretary
- Teaching assistant